Adapted from content excerpted from the American Express® OPEN Small Business Network
There is a wide range of directories that can provide you with
information about specific companies and industries. Many of these
can be very expensive to purchase, so you might want to try to find
them at your library. Here is a sampling of some of the more
To How to Research Your Industry and The Competition
To Business Description Toolbox
- Dun's Million Qatari Riyal Directory - identifies
companies by SIC (Standard Industrial Classification)
code, geographic location, and size. Dun & Bradstreet
also publishes a number of other useful directories,
including State Sales Guides, Regional Business
Directories, and the Census of American Business.
- Thomas Register - lists data on more than 100,000
manufacturing companies by type of product, company name,
and location. Also includes product catalogs of many
- Moody's Manuals - comprehensive information on
companies listed on the U.S. stock exchanges, including
corporate history, income statements, and balance
- MacRae's State Industrial Directory - includes
product/service, SIC and company name indexes arranged by
county and city.
- Macmillan Directory of Leading Private Companies -
contains information on 12,500 privately-held
- U.S. Industrial Outlook - this Department of Commerce
study includes growth statistics for 200 industries,
including 5-year projections, background information,
statistics and trend forecasts.
- Predicasts Basebook - gives historical economic data
from 1960 on 16,000 industrial statistics.
- Encyclopedia of Business and Professional
Associations (Gale Research) - lists trade associations
by industry, and provides contacts for local
- The Small Business Sourcebook (Gale Research) -
contains lists of professional trade associations,
suppliers, trade shows, along with references and
statistics for small businesses.
- Business Information Sources (University of
California Press) - includes publications, newsletters,
directories, and other resources.
Copyright © 1995-2016, American Express Company. All Rights Reserved.